I should be studying for a midterm and instead, I’m scouring the internet for races. #RunningProblems.
So I came across this article in Shape Magazine about the Top 10 Destination Races to Run Before You Die.
1. Avia Flower Triathlon: I can already tell you that with “triathlon” in the name, I will not be adding it to my list. I don’t care how fun or beautiful they say it is, I’m not doing it. But for those braver than me, here’s what you should know. The event is May 3-5 (yikes, that’s soon!) at Lake San Antonio in California. There are three distances to choose from along the beauty of the Big Sur region.
2. The Carlsbad 5000: Even sooner then the Avia Flower Triathlon, this race takes place April 7 in Carlsbad, CA. It’s known as “the world’s fastest 5K” and 16 world records have been set on this course. Even though many records have been set, they welcome runners of all levels. This one may go on my list.
3. Snowshoe the Bear: This one has already passed for 2013 but that doesn’t mean you can’t keep it on your radar for next year. The event offers both a 5K and 10K, but there’s a catch, you have to do it in snowshoes. The race is located in Big Bear Lake, CA. Not a fan of running in the cold, but I might have to do this one day. It sounds entertaining.
4. Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathons: Located in multiple cities across the country and Europe, I have heard nothing but great things about these races. There are both half marathon and full marathon options complete with live music along the course. I think I may have to add the half marathon to my list. It’s coming to Brooklyn in October!
5. Down 2 Earth Endurance Races: There are a variety of races here consisting of 5K and 10K trail races, half marathons. The races take place in Oleta River State Park in Florida. Be warned though, these are intense races. Their motto is “No Whiners.” This is not a race for me.
6. Bay Shore Marathon: Located in Traverse City, MI this event has a 10K, a half marathon, and a full marathon. It takes place in May, which is a beautiful time in Traverse City. Take it from me, I’m from Michigan. This one will be added to my list. Maybe in 2014 I’ll head back to my home state to do this one.
7. Devil Mountain Ulta Marathon: 50 Miler, 50K, and half marathon. Yikes! Taking place in September in Pagosa Springs, CO you’ll find “one hell of a race.” With a lot of uphill parts to the course, I will not be trying this one. The flatter the better.
8. Metro Dash Obstacle Run: Unfortunately, this run doesn’t exist anymore. It was described as “a gut wrenching, muscle pounding, make you want to throw up obstacle course race.” Now I’m not sure if there’s anything as hard as this one because I’ve never tried it, but you can always try a Tough Mudder. Those are insane.
9. Kaua’i Marathon: Hawaii, anyone? This race takes place in September in beautiful Hawaii. There are both full marathon and half marathon options. I’m all about going to Hawaii. This race is going on my list.
10. DisneyWorld Marathon and Princess Half: I had to say I was extremely excited to see this on the list. The Disney Princess Half Marathon is already on my list for 2014. Disney is the most magical place on earth and there’s nothing more magical than their races. Doing the Wine and Dine Half Marathon was one of the greatest experiences I’ve had. Shape may have listed these two specific Disney races, but I’d say any of them are worthwhile.
Well there you have it. Ten destination runs you should check out. Let me know if you’ve done any of these or plan to!